Sunday, February 12, 2006

Interviewing people

It has been interesting. I am writing a book called The Lost Women of Rock, about female players of rock instruments in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Ages ago, I interviewed a whole bunch of people- Gina Birch (The Raincoats), Lora Logic (Essential Logic), Vi Subversa (Poison Girls), Enid Williams (Girlschool), Lucy O'Brien (Catholic Girls), members of Dollymixture and The Gymslips, Poly Styrene, and also John Peel and Geoff Travis. In the last couple of weeks I have caught up with some people I didn't talk to earlier- Tessa Pollitt from The Slits, June Miles-Kingston (Mo-Dettes, Funboy 3) and Gaye Black (The Adverts). What a responsibility, to put it all together. I hope I do them justice! A good side effect is that June is auditioning for The Slits, who are going to get back together; but now, I have to sit down and write. Problem is, the computer is in the same room as my guitar, which keeps flirting with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read your book on Lost Women of Rock. I run a mailing list called Typical Girls that hails the very women you interview! You should join the group, you'd find a lot of support for this project!