Monday, July 31, 2006

River Thames, August Songbird


Went boating down the Thames today with a bunch of people in a little orange craft as light as lego and as powerful as a wet flannel. What a lovely day; we rescued an anxious chap whose engine had died, saw lots of dragonflies, herons, a kingfisher and an otter, and me and Joan went under the Sounding Arch of the Brunel railway bridge and clapped and yarped until all the fishermen in fluorescent jackets folded up their aluminium chairs, picked up their tins of maggots and left (although they only went as far as their tents and mimicked us in a frightened sort of way). I'd meant to take my DAT recorder and record Moses using that super-natural-reverb but forgot; somehow at 8 a.m. packing the mini-poppadums seemed more important and I did scoff the whole megapacket without sharing, as usual. There was an exciting rainstorm and I ate a thousand Turkish cherries.
I'm very pleased, as I sold some Viz comics on ebay at the weekend and have made enough money to finish my CD.
Stop press:
1. Akiko heard the broadcast in Berlin- three cheers for internet radio!
2. McMum's friend, visiting Scotland from America, has just broken his toe; McMum phoned tonight for tips about which of the toes next to it was the best one to strap it to while it mended.

No comments: