Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rockstar Tuesday


I went over to collect Gina yesterday and we drove into town to do the Radio 6 interview with Nemone. Even though I had written the address on the back of my hand, I didn't look, and we went first of all to 66 Great Portland Street, then we were looking for 99 Great Portland Street, then I bothered to look and realised we should have been at 99 Portland Place. How silly. We had been in a caff pretending we were going to have dinner with George Michael (he owns one of Stella's paintings) and the waiters all believed us.
However.
Both Nemone and her producer had both read the book and liked it- I was really impressed. It meant that the questions they asked were actually to do with what is in there and not just the general silly myths that people sometimes come out with, and they seemed genuinely interested and excited about it. The interview seemed as though it was over in seconds, but I felt that both of us had had a chance to talk quite a lot. It's on the BBC website under 6music , if you want to listen.
Thank you Mike for your text!
Then we hopped into me car, encountered a few closed roads and general stresses, but managed to get to Oxford in time to hump the gear to the Museum of Modern Art for a soundcheck. The sound guy was great, Mr Lowbloodpressure. Ana and Shirley turned up, and we ran thru the music with the backdrop of Stella's beautiful paintings. My favourite one is of Frida Kahlo painting a roe deer that looks suspiciously like the Babycham deer at rest (normally of course it is leaping across the bottle).
Gina looked beautiful in a long black evening gown and bling. I played on some songs (but we missed out my favourite, Soho, which reminded me a little of a song called Night Caller by Fan Club, the Brighton band), Ana played on some, and then we all hung out for a while. Vicky Aspinall came (I had not met her before) and also a really interesting woman called Alex who used to make the clothes for The Clash. She said everybody thought she was a bloke because of her name, and she's going to write a book about it all, which I will definitely have to read!
We drove home listening to the Bird and the Bee, I dropped Gina off and crawled back to my hoose for a very satisfying night's sleep.

I have played rhythm guitar with Gina Birch! I am a proper rocker and will wear my trousers at half mast and have masses of keys danging from my belt... oh no, that's a roadie....
I just have to have mad hair and a glazed expression on my face. I can manage those things perfectly.
The picture is of Gina and Ana soundchecking.

No comments: