Saturday, July 07, 2007

Ukeleles and painted faces

I just did an interview with Leonie Cooper for the Guardian Womens' page about the Lost Women. We sat in the sun in the courtyard of the Mitre (sun? who's that?). Apparently she plays ukelele and she's recommended the Duke of Uke shop in the east end, so I will have to go there and check it out. She says you can get a beginners ukelele for about 20 quid.
My uncle had a great little piece of film of a George Formby Club. A large group of solemn men sat in rows watching a projection of George Formby singing 'When I'm Cleaning Windows', each playing along on a litte ukelele, completely absorbed in what they were doing.
Extraordinary.

Here's another funny thing. I have face-painted Alistair Darlings' childrens faces. I can't remember what I painted on their faces, but I do remember that they didn't have fair hair and black eyebrows.

No comments: