Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Studio

Allan Bradbury came to play cello on some of the new tracks, fighting through my incompetent attempt at writing dots to come up with some lovely playing.
Meanwhile, Tom's been seduced by Protools and its coat of many colours, abandoning grey and pink Logic, the bullfinch of programmes, for a computer screen that looks like a Marimekko print. I thought of making a t-shirt for each song on the new album, featuring the Protools screen with its primary-coloured soundwaves across the front.
Logic tracks always used to remind me of mountainous landscapes reflected in still lakes.
Twee, ain't I?
Tomorrow, guitars; Martin's Martin, and some megabackingvocals, even though I've been telling everyone I'm gonna keep it simple this time round!
Listening... to Nick Drake. Why have I never listened to him before? I play guitar a bit like him sometimes- it was so funny listening to his songs and understanding what he was doing and why he was doing it. He also writes weirder songs thatn me which is very comforting because he is famous. This means I can reinstate some of my more peculiar songs without being worried that they sound silly.
You know, when I was a teenager in the Northeast, Southerners seemed very mysterious and clever, as romantically different from us as those Motowners across the pond, or even the Staxers or the FamilyStoners.

No comments: