Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Paleface at the Evening Muse



I liked Paleface- an unusual cast to his songs which probably means he'll be pushed aside by the mainstream. Legend has it that Beck shared a flat with him and nicked all his ideas (but sometimes legend is a liar, I know). There were some great bits in his music that made you want to listen all the way through. His drummer was great too- a slight little woman who was a very skilful player and who sang as well. Is it just me, or are drummers cleverer than they were in the old days? There used to be just Phil Collins blaring solidly away in his ruffty tuffty no-voice, but here she was, playing and singing with the ease of a bird on the wing. They were a really good duo, in tune with each other physically and I wish I'd bought their CD but it was a hectic evening and I didn't get round to it.
Later, I was told by somebody that I look like Susan Sarandon. I remember once at Offline these guys insisting that I was she, and refusing to accept the fact that I'm not. They kept it up all evening. I do think that I would know if I was Susan Sarandon or not. And one of the cleaners at the Universiy of Westminster used to stare at me all the time.
Finally and triumphantly, he shouted, 'It's that Susan Saracen that you remind me of!!'

But of course, Big Bruv told me I reminded me of a fruitgum because of my cleft chin and hamster cheeks. He counted through the lumps on my face as evidence of my resemblance to the Rowntree's Hard Gum. I am completely certain that Susan Saracen did not have this problem with her brother.

No comments: