Tuesday, September 11, 2007

With The Daintees at the Jazz Cafe

What a tremendous moment, to be standing watching the Daintees play a rip-roaring set, all the songs from Boat to Bolivia, having just finished playing a support set with them!
They have got to have one of the friendliest and most loyal audiences on the planet, who were very respectful to me when I played even though they were so excited to see the Daintees, who play so rarely. As a band, I think they must be the friendliest band on the planet. From the the moment I went into the dressing room, there wasn't a shred of grumpy rockstarness about any of them, and they just radiate fun from the stage. The audience knew all the songs and sang along but they didn't overpower the band. They were just really enjoying it!
I almost died of shock because halfway through they invited me on the the stage and started playing 24 Hours! Bloody good job I could remember the words after all these years; somehow they are etched on to my soul. Imagine that! You get to play, you get to see a great band, and they have learned a song you wrote 25 years ago and invite you to sing it with them.
Does life get better than that for a middle-aged suburban housewife? I think not!
Big up the Daintees, for making not only their crowd, but especially H. McCookerybook, very happy last night

No comments: