Friday, November 02, 2007

Hey... hang on a minute!

I'm just taking 5 after doing this morning's lecture. I played '#1 Deejay', a 12" disco single that lasts 6 minutes, and 'Boredom' by the Buzzcocks and talked about sounds and space and purposes and bodies and subcultures and hedonism and anger. In the middle of it all, I became really interested in it all again (like I was when I wrote the lecture last year) and started dreaming around it and getting excited by all the ideas.
Did you know that Rabelais imagined recording in 1532? He imagined a frozen sea, where the sounds of battle froze to silence in winter; when spring came the frozen sounds melted and you could hear them once more, only the battle was over by then.
Isn't that amazing?
And Kurt Weill invented sampling. He used to have record players on stage with the orchestra.

You know, I might actually start reading serious books again.

No comments: