Sunday, November 11, 2007

Rose Hips

I have just remembered a very odd thing. I talked about it to Diana last night.
At my primary school, we were encouraged to pick wild rose hips. We would take bags of them into school, where they would be weighed and we'd get paid about threepence for every pound- or maybe sixpence.
They were send to a company called Delrosa, who made them into lovely gloopy Rose Hip Syrup, which was a drink made for babies really, but everybody drank it, because it was so lovely and gloopy.

2 comments:

Brother Tobias said...

You'd think it was ancient, but rose hip syrup was invented by Magnus Pyke, wasn't it? (Him of the flagellant arms) As a source of vitamin C when all the oranges were being sunk in the war.

As a big time irritant, the fibrous bits inside rose hips are what they used to make itching powder out of.

I seldom get a chance to share my encyclopaedic knowledge of rose hips.

Anonymous said...

Rose hip syrup consumption caused me to lose a tooth at an early age.