Monday, January 21, 2008

Kilburn

I went to see Treacle and Charlotte today in Kilburn; it was weird driving down Kingsgate Road where The Chefs used to rehearse (in the night thunderstorms I used to phone from the house where I lived in Willesden to wake them up, 'cos the cellar where we kept our equipment filled up with water).
The iPod was gently playing Rosetta Tharp and Merle Travis.
Treacle showed me her recycled jewellery- excellent. I think she should make a website to sell it from and also take it to the V & A; Debbi Little's making some recycled dresses for them and I think they might like Treacle's stuff too.
Treacle and Charlotte used to live in that mad house with me. Ruth and Little Claire lived there too and we all dyed our hair black. I was tall and they were small and Andy Fellowes (the handy fellow who taught us all how to fix our electricity meters) said I was mummy duck and they were the ducklings.
Quack.
Anyway, I drove back past the Railway Tavern, where the Moonlight Club once was (I used to go every night, by myself, when we weren't playing there and must have seen hundreds of bands). It's right next to West Hampstead tube station, where the West Hamsters come from, which is next station on from Swiss Cottage, where the Cheese comes from.

Fact: Decca Records had a studio next to the Railway and used to feed cables from there into the pub, to record people like John Mayall in the 1960s playing live.

No comments: