Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Probably not worth reading if you were expecting an exciting posting

My friend Jane came to talk to the students at the University of the East today. She A&Rs for 4AD records and had a fascinating story to tell, all about working as a volunteer for a Ghanaian radio station and driving round the Wild West in the USA in a car with 5 people plus instruments, doing gigs all over the place.
I think the students loved it.
I have some interesting CDs to listen to now, and I made her a copy of old Chefs songs. She likes Helen and the Horns and keeps trying to persuade me to do more H and H gigs. I've given her 5 of the vinyl albums. We co-raved about music we liked while we ate our tea, then she went off to a gig in Camden.
She's playing harmonium and clarinet with Shimmy Rivers and and Canal and I think I will go to see them play tomorrow evening.
I feel happy in a sort of chaotic way, thinking about songs and songwriting, scribbling notes and advice on envelopes, drinking three cups of tea in quick succession, wearing a new dress (you should see it, it's very weird. It has tailor's dummies and hospital beds printed on it), scribbling incomprehensible things on my hand and avoiding phoning the Trainline who have sent me two sets of tickets to get to Glasgow in March.
O why does reality always have to kick in?
Better do it.
See you tomorrow.

No comments: