Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Afterthought

I got so agitated after that last post that when I was performing the 41st housework, cleaning out the kitchen cupboard to the strains of Northern Soul, I knocked over a huge drum of cocoa powder, which fluffed out in clouds all over the kitchen and all over me, coating the floor, the chair I'd mountaineered on to reach the shelf, the worktop, my dungarees (yes, I was in hillbilly mode) and even vertical surfaces with its matt brown powder.
It's all cleaned up now, and I distracted myself from the horrors of warfare with a Big Thought about whether the currants I found in a jar are OK to make rock cakes with.
How suburban! This is why housewives end their days on ever-increasing prescriptions for tranquilisers. Or glass after glass of gin and tonic, ice and a slice.
This gives me my proper heavy-duty New Year's resolution. I resolve to put serious time and effort into campaigning against the sale of weapons, and warfare in general.

1 comment:

Jim Byrne said...

I wouldn't make those rock cakes - out of date currents are something I worry about constantly. My wife Pat on the other hand, would be tipping those currents in without a second thought - and probably eating them at the same time.

Have a good gig.

All the best,
Jim