Friday, July 17, 2009

Virus Limbo

I've wrestled myself free from the triumphant cats who had me stapled to the bed. What bullies! I had to clean off their fluff with parcel tape a couple of days ago...
I haven't even got the energy to go and forage for snails in the holey hosta outside the kitchen door. Accidentally, I became an organic gardener and was removing the snails one by one, chucking the toffee-tinted cornucopias of splodge into the recycling bin with the brown lettuce leaves and burnt toast. So the hosta leaves, when I look out of the window, are getting ever more lacy....

Introverted things take up the days at the moment. Listening through the song seeds I'd planted in my mobile phone, I found some interesting ideas. A song from the point of view of an African woman, which I rejected as a patronising colonialist insult to Africans. I made it up line by line and there are four recordings; I can't make out what the chords are and I'd no idea I knew chords like that. Mysterious! It's a shame I can't use it like Billy Childish did with that song he write line by line in his kitchen, that features the sound f the cassette recorder being switched off at the end of each line.

There were recordings of the song the clients at Headway East wrote with me one morning- incredible, one hour last winter and a bunch f people in a little room overlooking the canal. Maybe I will look on the Internet to find out how to convert amr files into mp3s- they won't drop into Garageband unforchly.

I took myself off to Crete on holiday in my head, remembering the little fishes in the shallows of the Mediterranean, all colours, mixed and wriggling. And almond tart that I couldn't stop eating, and splashing about in cold water on a hot sunny day...

I've read two more Rebus novels; I must have read nearly all of them. I have an uneasy feeling that reading time should be spent with academic books but I left the two I checked out at the library of the University of the West in their library ( I hope, otherwise I've lost them and will have to cough up for them). But I could not get my head around anything complex at the moment, even though the suburban silence provides the sort of smooth space that's perfect for other people's words.

Today, I have to start cancelling next week's activities, starting with Monday. I don't seem to be getting any better yet. After writing this, I will go back to sleep, rocked by the lullabies of occasional cars and trucks humming past the window.

Good (day) night!

No comments: