Saturday, October 17, 2009

X Factor

Wow- I've just seen one of my best ever ex-students on the X-Factor, being slated by Simon Cowell.
Graziella's from Tottenham and she did some of the most fantastic heartfelt rapping about the violence and cruelty she saw around her. I thought she was so good that I got her a gig at my friend Mike Slocombe's club, Offline in Brixton.
She's got bags more guts that Simon Cowell, who wouldn't survive for one second on the London streets where artists like Graziella come from.
She's too good to be part of a girl group dressed in silly cake-dresses. She's like Miss Dynamite or Lily Allen- an authentic London girl with lots to say in her own voice, not Whitney Houston's.
If I was a record company I would sign her up right now and let her bypass the rest of silly old X Factor. Wouldn't it be great for her to reject Simon Cowell before he rejects her?

1 comment:

Claire said...

She's one of my favourites, along with Stacey and Olly.

Can't bear to watch Danyl though, it's the way he opens his mouth so wide it takes over his face when he sings. I find all the close-ups of the inside of his mouth a bit repulsive, for some reason. Reminds me of the displays of tongue you get in butcher's shops too. Aaah well, Simon likes him.