Friday, January 08, 2016

Writing a Conference Paper

I am writing a paper for the Musician's Union Conference next week, Working in Music: The Musicians’ Union, musical labour and employment.
It's always hard work doing something like this but it's also intellectually stimulating and completely absorbing. An hour has just vanished and the only indication of this factor is my frozen feet. I'll have to go out for a walk later to get my circulation going again.
What I'm enjoying about this one is the mining of information from the interviews themselves. For a year I've been working on the background essay (30,000 words and almost finished), and jus recently I've been editing the interviews (I don't know why I'm so surprised but it takes a really long time and I sometimes go back and un-edit some of them if I've cut out information that later becomes a theme).
I love interviewing people, it's one of life's greatest pleasures and this has been a very interesting project. By word of mouth I have found one or two female producers who work what can only be described as deep underground, but I am also happy to have a very brief interview with Sandie Shaw, who always produced her own records.
Like everything I've done academically, this is a complete labour of love. There are lots of parallels with the film that Gina and myself are working on. We have been reviewing our interviews this week and there will much to report about screenings of work-in-progress at some point over the next few weeks.
Back to the writing. See you soon.

No comments: