Saturday, March 25, 2017

Reading, Writing, No Rithmetic

I have been reading Daniel Rachel's book, Walls Come Tumbling Down: the music and politics of Rock Against Racism, 2 Tone and Red Wedge. It's great: straight-from-the-source conversations about music and politics, and the ways that they intersected in the late 1970s and early 1980s in the UK. It captures the 'anything is possible' feeling of the moment in a very honest and balanced way.
I am currently writing chapter for an academic journal, which is scary because the last one I wrote got rejected (although I will be writing another book this year too, so I am not at rock bottom by any means). I realised that the article that was rejected was written at the lowest point of last year, which was pretty damn low, and the rejection feeling is bundled up with all that too.
Now I have to see if, and how, the things people say in Daniel's book shine light on what I am writing about. This requires concentration, and I am journeying today so it's all printed out and ready to take.
I have to change professional gear so many times but I'm used to it, and to dealing with disappointment too.
Wisdom about these things turns up very late in life, but I am glad that it has turned up at all.
For now, I'm all dressed up in my fancy togs, and ready to face the world and its adventures, once more appreciating friendship and kindness and looking forward to what today has to bring.
Wot a hippy.

1 comment:

The Professor said...

"Academic Journal" What is an 'AJ' is it the title of a comic